Friday, April 5, 2013

The Bible Mini Series Part V

         Yesterday, I watched the final part of The Bible mini series. This series was made so that someone who has never read the Bible could watch this five-part series in order to get the gist and the most important parts of it. The part I watched was the Passion and Death of Jesus Christ, his Resurrection and Ascension into heaven, and all the way until the conversion of Paul and the final writings of Revelation by St. John, which he wrote while exiled on the island of Patmos. Many movies that are based entirely on the Bible are normally not too well acted and poorly made, but the director of this series put a lot of effort into this and searched endlessly for someone who he believed would look like Jesus would have looked.
         Whenever multiple people read something, it is always interpreted differently by each individual, especially if the context is very deep and requires much thought, such as the Bible. When I first read the part in the Bible where Peter denys Christ three times, I figured Peter would have been very upset at himself but would have felt better soon. In the movie, I realized that Peter was not even at Christ's Crucifixion because he felt so ashamed of himself. What a horrible feeling it must be to deny the Son of God with whom you have traveled with and witnessed perform many miracles. And he did it three times in a row! On a another note, I had always had trouble depicting Pilate as either good or bad. I knew for sure he wasn't a saint, but at the same time he did not want Jesus to be crucified. In the movie, I found out that his wife had a dream the night before Jesus' Crucifixion and had told her husband not to harm him because Jesus was the person in her dreams and Pilate was the one who ordered his death sentence. Even though Pilate tried to not have Jesus crucified, he still did it anyway! I could not believe that, but later when the pharisees and high priests wanted the inscription on the cross of Jesus to say something along the lines of "Claimed to be the King of the Jews" Pilate made it say "Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews". To me, it seemed as if Pilate believed that Jesus was truly the King of the Jews but that he cared about himself more anyways. I highly recommend watching this series and I hope that I get to see the previous parts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment